So, how did this get started???
Like most projects I build, I thought it would just be cool! (Yea, I'm a bit whacked)
First I got a bunch of parts, bumpers, flippers,
switches, lights, displays, etc....
All from old, non-working games. This is the best way to get a large amount of parts very cheep.
Then I moved on to create the logic boards required to 'run' the game. I looked around my shop and found an old Atari 800. Hmmmm... A 6502 CPU. I thought to my self, PERFECT!! A little help from Digi-Key, and I found a bunch of other stuff to complete the boards.
Well, I am sorry to say, this started several
years ago, and never got completed...
But the logic boards do work! and I have some photos of them.
The boards built were:
1- CPU board. 6502 CPU, 32Kx8 Ram, 32Kx8 E-prom, 2.45Mhz clock, 555 chip to generate Interrupts.
(The interrupt was used to update the displays)
2- Lamp Driver board. 128 addressable outputs, each could drive a 6 Volt, .25A lamp
3- Coil Driver board. Could power 8 coils. Used for drop target reset, etc...
4- Display Driver board, the displays were Neon and ran on about 190 Volts
The CPU did all the timing and addressing.
5- Input board. 64 inputs could be scanned off the play field.
Front of CPU board. (yes, I made this from scratch, drew the tracks in Paint Brush)
Back side of CPU board.
Lamp Driver board - This only shows the top board, 64 of the 128 outputs, some of the chips
are lost now do to other projects.
Lamp driver Plans - This 128 bit ver, was never built. Hay, it was a lot of drilling!!
First CPU plans - Built this one, learned alot about trace size!! Opps...
Display driver - Used this one.
Plans for display driver - Built, but never tested....
I just wiped this page up, so as I find photos of the rest of the boards, I'll put them here.
I also plan to make some avi files of the working system!